I can think of a few things: I started my Master’s program, went to Asheville, NC, shot a rifle, drove by myself for over 5 hours more than once, ran non-stop for 10 minutes ( I cannot do it anymore, ha!) and got a speeding ticket. I’m sure there are more first-time events, but that’s all I can think of right now.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Well, I technically didn’t make new year’s resolutions last year. Later on, I did make some but I didn’t make them public.I had a few important ones which I did keep: start school, lose weight (I briefly succeeded on this one until I started school and stopped working out) become more stable emotionally, and others which I failed at: floss every night, get more sleep, read 25 books, lose weight and keep it off, save money and call my extended family back home more.
I think making resolutions is kind of inevitable. Some people make a big deal out of it, while others keep the resolutions to themselves. I, for one, plan to make my resolutions public this year, but I will make an effort to make more attainable goals so that I can stick to them and not just ditch them by the end of January. I will try to publish them here as I recently discovered how awesome it is to go back and read something I wrote a year ago.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Some friends in Colombia did, but no one in my close circle of family or friends (that I recall).
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Again, some acquaintances and relatives of coworkers, but thankfully no one really close to me.
5. What countries did you visit?
None. Or only one if I count the fact that I spent the first 10 hours of 2011 in Colombia.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Oh, man. So many things. Consistency, discipline, self-control when it comes to spending. Money!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
9. What was your biggest failure?
I gained those 15 pounds back. Ha! Also, I had never been so broke, but that is not entirely my fault.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just a very persistent flu towards the end of the year. Also, my migraines diminished a little this year.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Shoes (I’m not even kidding). Also, my awesome new camera.
12. Where did most of your money go?
School tuition, books, gas, lawyers, and other school related expenses. And shoes. :)
13. What did you get really excited about?
Starting grad school, openly announcing to my family and friends that I was in a serious relationship, turning 27 (it felt like a milestone birthday to me), living in a big city again, albeit for a short period of time.
14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Adele’s Someone Like You
15. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter?Richer or poorer?
Definitely happier, same weight as this time last year, and a tad poorer.😦
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercising. Sleeping. Saving.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Late-night snacking. Wine-drinking. Stressing.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
I spent Christmas’ Eve with my boyfriend’s family. Everyone was really nice and the food was amazing. Christmas Day was spent mostly watching movies and eating chocolate chip cookies.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Dexter! I can’t believe I have to wait 10 months to see what happens next.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
All of Adele’s 21 album, The Temper Trap’s Love Lost, Coldplay’s Charlie Brown and Paradise, Katy Perry’s Fireworks, and Glee’s version of Baby It’s Cold Outside.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
This is hard to answer as I’ve become some sort of film snob. Most movies I watched were kind of meh. I really liked Water for Elephants, The Swedish version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and its two sequels. My favorite would be Midnight in Paris.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 27. I had two birthday celebrations. I received great presents and had a memorable birthday dinner.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I could have spent at least a week with my mom.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Same as 201o. Nothing outlandish. Mostly neutral colors in the winter, bright ones in the summer. Lots of shoe variety!
26. What kept you sane?
Long phone calls to my mom. My boyfriend. My best friends.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Life proved to me once again that everything does happen for a reason. Even the really bad things.